Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Poppycock

Shakespeare, Maya Angelou, Shel Silverstein. All masters of the great language that I verbalize on a daily basis. In honor of raising my verbal bar, I've decided to revive and implement some of these jim-dandy slang words of the past. Words I'm not sure would make Maya & Shel proud but make me smile.

hoot: verb, 1. to shout or laugh with scorn 2. to express or utter with hoots. Examples: From Weezer's outstanding new song Pork & Beans "I don't give a hoot about what you think."

rubbish: noun 1. useless waste 2. something that is worthless Example: "Rubbish!" I like to holler it out like an expletive.

shenanigans:1. a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose 2. high-spirited or mischievous activity Example: "Josh! Let's go commit shenanigans!!"

pox: noun 1. a disastrous evil, plague or a curse Example: "A pox upon you and your family for the rubbish and shenanigans you've upheld!"

Try them out, you might have one hoot of a time! Besides, it's the best to watch the lady at the cash register gaze at you in wonder when they are applied in the real world. Keeps people on their toes including me! Got to always stay sharp, you never know when you may need to throw out an ancient curse or relate to a man from the 1800s.

Now let's say it all together - Ellen is a fream.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA superfunny

AW Cake! said...

you crack me up! i'm so glad to have you for a friend...miss you guys. i'm glad that i can keep up with you a little bit here, though. :)

Beth Haws said...

OMG!!! I love you!!!!
You make me smile!!!

Wonders said...

I could use this new world of words you've shown me instead of swearing! I think anyone who knows me knows that I my last word-- should I so happen to pass due to a freakish-terrifying-crazy-accidental-accident that was the result of a mistake on my part--will be a swear. But how much better would it be to say OH POPPYCOCK!I concur my friend. Good words and I look forward to more enlightenment.

Beth Haws said...

My friends and I would like to know what a fream is??? You didn't define it.

Ellen said...

A fream is someone who doesn't fit in, an outcast - a loner Dotty, a rebel. Slang from the 1950s.