Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sub-Conscious Melodies

I estimate that once a week I wake up with the lyrics of a song or a melody on broadcast in my thoughts. I’ll sit up in bed humming, sing it to myself in the shower and finally have to say to Josh, “Yellow Submarine.” Then finally I can let the song go. One of my small delights in life is that Josh has this mental hiccup too . His internal DJ broadcasts on a totally different radio station then mine but it is one of the quirks we equally share.

Last Friday I woke to what I thought was a sappy 70s love ballad. At first I couldn’t remember the lyrics, but I totally had the melody on lock. It just kept repeating again and again. On the drive into work my brain assembled the following lyrics, “Why does my heart bleed now in the moOoooOOrning?!? And it trickles through the night!” After ten minutes of googling why does my heart bleed and getting medical journals, I gave up and called Josh. Did you know he is practically the Rain Man when it comes to musical lyrics?

“Josh, I know the lyrics are totally wrong but my song this morning is something I can’t remember and it’s making me crazy. Can you help me?”

“Umm yeah I’ll try.”

“Why does my heart bleed now in the moOoooOOrning?!? And it trickles through the night!”

There is a moment of totally silence and then he starts laughing and laughing. “Are you sure you want to know?”

Here I got a bit nervous, “Yes, it’s making me crazy.”

Then he actually played the song back to me over the phone, that’s right he had it handy.

“Yep! That’s it! Thanks Josh! Wait a minute…..is that CELINE DION?!?!” Now Josh is laughing even more. To my horror my sub-conscious has plucked a song from my musical nemesis. Celine Dion “Why Does My Heart Beat Now.”

Give me credit though folks, I didn’t know the words in the least bit.

0 comments: