Friday, April 29, 2011

Bust a Myth: Faith cures Infertility

It is National Infertility Awareness Week and Resolve.org has challenge folks to blog about an Infertility myth. I’ve danced around with a few ideas, (Ovulation Vacation, anyone?), but kept coming back to the common misconception that faith cures infertility.

I would say that 85% of people who learn that we have tried for 8 years to have children without success usual take it upon themselves to try and share a tidbit of wisdom about conception. I know it is from the goodness of their hearts and so I’ve learned to smile and nod and go to my happy place. Everyone is trying to relate and be helpful. It is always with the greatest of intentions.

Some go as far to advises, “You must have faith. God can cure anything. Live worthily and pray he will answer.” And He does. We can find accounts in the scriptures of this. We hear testimonies shared at church, stories of families who have miracle pregnancies. But is conception the only way to cure infertility?

I would say no. Living worthily, asking and having faith has not allowed me to conceive but the Lord has provided me with many blessing. I do have faith that our Heavenly Father can heal the body. I am simply saying that I do not believe that is always His answer. Instead I have been blessed by having my spirit healed. I have been given reprieve from sorrow. I have been given strength. I have been guided to know that motherhood is still one of my roles. I have been given patience. I have not been forgotten, Heavenly Father knows me and has a plan just for me. And check me out folks, it’s a special plan.

Want to learn more about infertility? Check out this link: http://www.resolve.org/infertility-overview/what-is-infertility/ Want to bust a myth? http://www.resolve.org/national-infertility-awareness-week/home-page.html

5 comments:

Emily said...

I love this!

Nancy Pitney said...

Amen Sister!

TheWebshark said...

Adoption and Foster Care are alternatives that will allow you fulfill your roles as Mother & Father.

Staci Kramer said...

I suspect that once you have your child in your arms, The Lord's plan will be so obvious. You are not only loved, you are favored by God. I'm so glad you are passing this test of faith so gracefully. This will be the best preparation there is for parenthood.

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

Thank you for busting a myth! You are amazing!