Tuesday, October 19, 2010

You are the best as always!

I've always been interested in how phrases spread in society. Who first thought of "chillaxing" and why did it suddenly become an accepted term? Is chillaxing better than relaxing?

Two phrases have made a sudden emergence among my acquaintances. People are starting to say "Have a blessed day." and they are starting to say, "You are the best as always!!" Okay, maybe I watched too much PeeWee's Playhouse as a child but I feel like these are the secret words and I should yell every time I hear them! AAAAAH! then laugh and go about my day.

My friend and I were discussing the "blessed day" topic. Just once she said she'd like to answer with, "No." How awkwardly funny in the Michael Scott kinda way would that be... "Have a blessed day." "No." What would the blessing giver say? It does beg the question though if you think about it, is it your place to bless someone? How do you know they are religious and want to be blessed?

"You are the best as always!" has become the common email sign off when people are asking for things. "Can you shave my pet llama? You are the best as always!" Here is the sneaky part, it totally worked on me the first few times, I thought, I'm the best? Well heck yes I'll shave that llama! But now, I'm not so sure.... do I want to be the best carney at the carnival? Maybe this trick will work if we are ever invaded by aliens. "Hey space invader, can you not use poisonous gas on my neighborhood? You are the best as always!" It is the verbal equivalent of a Jedi mind trick.

Now chillax, leave a comment, You are the best as always! Have a blessed day!

5 comments:

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

Because I wish for a blessed day and for the ability to chillax, I decided I will leave a comment.

These are ponder-worthy things, indeed. I also wonder about the origin of the phrase "I could care less." If you really wanted to insult the person, wouldn't you tell them that you would NOT be able to care less? Just sayin.'

Lisha said...

You, my dear friend, are hilarious! I didn't know these phrases migrated south. I heard them frequently when I was in Oklahoma over the summer. (They seemed to have skipped UT however!)

Nancy Pitney said...

I love it! Since I apparently hang out with different people (who do not use those phrases), I was wondering, is it "blest" or "bles-ed"? You know, how sometimes people say it with emphasis on the -ed. Which ever the case may be, don't we all have blessed days, since if we're here we are blessed? I'm just sayin...

Ellen said...

Think we could start the trend of having people say, "I do not show an interest" instead of the incorrect "I could care less." I could be explaining to you my great love of tacos and you could say "I do not show an interest." BURN!

And they say, Have a "blest" day. Bless-ed would just make me giggle.

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha. By the way, there is nothing wrong with PeeWee's playhouse- I'm glad I'm not the only one who watched that as a kid.
I love the way your mind works. You crack me up.